|"Hostilities Break Out"|
|Airdate:||April 12, 2006|
|Written by:||Jeffrey Paul Kearney,|
|Supervising Producer:||Savin Yeatman-Eiffel|
|Supervising Director:||Thomas Romain,|
|Story Editor:||Jeffrey Paul Kearney|
“Hostilities Break Out” is the second episode of the Cycle Alwas, and the second of the overall series. It first aired on April 12, 2006.
The Earth Team arrives on Alwas for the Pre-Selections. The race championships are about to begin, and Molly is impressed by Prince Aikka, a rival pilot. When the Earth Team's turn comes up, Molly senses that Rick and Jordan are in danger.
The Avatar's brings the Earth Team to Alwas, one of the three planets equidistant from Ōban. The team is escorted to their hangar by Satis, the Avatar's servant. Don Wei doesn't like surprises, especially the fact that they had a stowaway: Molly. Stan and Koji prepare the Arrow for Rick and Jordan's first race, but first they go to the pre-race ceremony, where Molly meets Prince Aikka of Nourasia. Jordan doesn't like Nourasians because they are allied with the Crogs. The Earth Team watches the first race between Nourasia and Ortlum. Prince Aikka uses his skillful archery to win the race. Don Wei notes that they'll have to watch out for him.
It is the Earth Team's turn to qualify for the race. Rick is up against Grooor, who uses a star-racer made of polarized titanium, a very strong alloy. While Molly watches the race, she has a vision of a star-racer crashing. She wonders what it means, but Rick is doing just fine against Grooor, winning even. When the two are about to enter the final stretch before the finish line, Rick and causes a engine to burn out. The ship's engine explodes into Grooor's ship. Jordan gets out fine, but Rick is rushed away by paramedics, and the Arrow is totalled. The Earth Team is down one pilot, and one star-racer. Meanwhile, Molly realizes that her vision may actually be a memory from her childhood.
- Original French Title: Les hostilités commencent
- Original French Air Date: April 12, 2006
- ABC Family Air Date: June 5, 2006
- Japanese Title: 戦闘開始 (Sentō kaishi, Beginning of Combat)
- Prince Aikka and Grooor make their debuts in this episode.
- The star-racer that almost runs Molly over in the Pit Area is the Stone Crusher.
- During the Avatar's speech, several future pilots make cameos in the crowd; Flint and Marcel, Ceres, Rush and Toros.
- This episode was included with A Fresh Start in a one hour special during its premiere.